Kmart worker pepper sprayed in Thomasville; 5 women charged with theft | News
THOMASVILLE, N.C. — Five High Point women face charges after police said they stole $1,200 worth of merchandise from a Thomasville Kmart and pepper sprayed a loss prevention officer.
The loss prevention officer at the Kmart at 1122 Randolph St. told police he was pepper sprayed when he approached two women who were suspected of concealing merchandise inside the store around 9:15 p.m. Saturday.
The two suspects then ran from the store and fled the scene in a white Buick with three other women, police said.
Police said the vehicle was found nearby along with the five suspects, who were identified as Naketa L. Gainey, Disequae L. Pittman, Eva L. Slaton, Canicia Y. Slaton, and Delonia J. Slaton.
Each of the suspects are from High Point, police said.
Recovered was an estimated $1,200 worth of merchandise that had been stolen from the store, police said.
Additional property believed to be stolen was also found, but detectives have not confirmed where it was taken from, police said.
The stolen property included clothing, perfumes, hardware, toiletries, lawn tools and equipment, and other household items, police said.
Each suspect has been charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, possession of stolen merchandise, and organized retail theft in connection with the incident.
Upcoming Events near Lexington
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Suspect sought for armed robbery of Winston-Salem business
- Student robbed at gunpoint at school bus stop in Winston-Salem
- Hanes plant in Winston-Salem being demolished to make way for Hanestowne Village
- Winston-Salem/Forsyth Co. Schools adding security cameras
- Vehicle crashes into house in Winston-Salem
- Thomasville reports 12,500 gallons of wastewater spilled into creek
- Van Denton surprises Weather Kid with doll she lost 4 years ago
- Thomasville mom set on fire by husband being helped by church members
- 5-hour standoff in Thomasville ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Thomasville man faces multiple child sex abuse charges